This is of the most exciting advances in aesthetic medicine and one of our favourite procedures also known as the tear trough procedure. With over 5000 performed cases, we can say that this is one of our biggest specialities and a procedure with a real wow factor. In 95% of patients presenting with a lower eyebag, dark circle or a loss of volume in the area below the eye, we can now very successfully correct the problem with a careful and intricate application of hyaluronic acid fillers. In our experience even the older patient with a significant lower eyebag swelling and skin laxity, can benefit from this procedure greatly.
Non Surgical Eyebag Removal
This procedure is best performed using needles, as cannulas are too inaccurate. We call it a procedure with a wow factor, as it is quick, easy and the results are instantaneous, not to mention magical, as the eyebags literally disappear. The result is very often tears of joy from our happy patients.
How does it work?
Tear troughs are depressions which run from the nose and all around under the eye. These depressions get worse as we age, as a result of the sagging skin and facial fat underneath, leaving this depression. As the face ages this gives the appearance of lower eye bags and dark circles. In the past, it was thought that only surgery could improve the eye bags, and there were no effective treatments for the annoying dark circles under the eyes. We use a very careful multiple puncture tehnique, injecting the dermal filler deep just above the orbital bone. We inject many times, depositing small boluses, and massaging them and moulding them carefully along the way. Like a patchwork, we slowly bulid up the filler, and because of our special technique, we have never yet had to use hyalase to melt the product away. The procedure takes only 10 minutes and the results are truly amazing. This procedure rejuvenates the tired aging face like no other and the results can last as long as 12-18 months.
How long does the procedure take?
The procedure takes around 10-15 minutes, and the results are instantaneous.
Does it hurt?
The area treated is not very sensitive and pain in most patients is minimal, so much so that we usually do not use any analgesia at all for this procedure.
How long do the results last?
The results will last around 12-18 months, but in many cases it can be even longer. Once the patient has had a few top ups, the results can be very long lasting indeed.
Is it safe?
Since the manufacturer Q-MED (now Galderma), launched Restylane in 1996, it is estimated that over 9 million treatments in over 70 countries have been carried out worldwide. Restylane and Perlane, which are used in this procedure, are a biocompatible and biodegradable product which means that it is not harmful to the body and is broken down and removed from the body naturally.
The hyaluronic acid fillers come in the form of a sterile gel produced in the laboratory. The advantages of these modern fillers include that they are non-permanent, unlike the surgical alternative.
Are there any side effects?
Some injection related side-effects can occur including redness, tenderness, swelling and bruising and none of these are ever very serious and they will resolve in a matter of days. Out of these side effects probably the most common in this procedure is bruising, as we are treating a very vascular area under the eye. However, there is no danger from this, and the bruising can be covered with make up.
Major long term side-effects are incredibly rare, and hypersensitivity reactions are reported to be as rare as 1 in 20,000 according to latest research.
What are the advantages of this procedure over surgery?
We will assess every patient thoroughly before deciding whether they are suitable for this non-surgical procedure. Many patients who previously thought that their only alternative was surgery, are pleasantly surprised when they are told that this quick and simple procedure can solve their problem. However, there are still many patients who would not be suitable for this procedure and who would still have to have surgery.
The advantages of avoiding surgery are many:
- No surgical scarring
- No General anaesthesia
- No hospital overnight stays. This really is a daytime procedure, and the patient can usually get on with their normal daily routine straight away.
- No time off work.
- In many cases better and more natural results than with the surgical alternative.
- Do not consume excessive alcohol for 24 hours
- Do not do any aerobic exercise for 24 hours after the procedure
- If you get any bruising do apply ice and arnica cream. Mineral based make up can be applied immediately after the procedure
- If you bruise easily, you may want to take arnica tablets for 1 day before the procedure and for 5 days afterwards.
- If you are prone to cold sores around the mouth, and this is the area which you want to be treated, ask your GP to prescribe zovirax tablets for you, to be taken just before and for a few days after the procedure.
- We will massage the areas treated thoroughly straight after the treatment, but you can do some gentle massage at home over a clean cloth.
- Try to avoid sun beds and saunas for 3-4 days after the procedure.
- If there is anything which is not clear, if you feel that you are getting any side effects or if you are not sure that results have come up to your expectations, do contact us and we can try to address your worries over the phone or arrange a follow up appointment.
Polyclinic Milojevic, Zagreb
10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Phone: +385 (0)1 485 4441
Book a Consultation
Coming for a consultation is the best way to find out more about our treatments. During the consultation we will assess all your needs and expectations and according to this will advise you on the most appropriate treatments. Apart from planning and choosing the appropriate procedures, the consultations are useful for agreeing on the prices and packages of prices for our services. We can assure you that if you choose to visit us, that you will receive the highest standards of customer service as well as treatments and results of the highest quality. Included in the price is a follow up appointment 2 weeks after you procedure and if necessary a correction.